If you aren’t going to make it to Rockville’s Tour de Cookie this Saturday, definitely check out The ABC’s of Family Biking in D.C., put on by our sister Kidical Mass D.C. group! This free event, like all of the Kidical Mass events, is celebrating the joy of biking with kids. It’s focused on introducing local parents to the tools, skills, and equipment to help them bike with kids.
The event will offer:
- A Show & Tell by area parents who bike with children of all ages
- Bicycles and equipment available at local bike shops to help parents bike safely with their children
- Free Youth Bike course with WABA instructors to teach basic riding skills to children.
- Parents & Kids Riding class to help parents bike alongside their kids, either alone or in a “bike train” group.
- Balance bike races for our youngest riders
- A cargo bike obstacle course where interested parents can test demonstration bikes and experienced family cyclists can pits their skills against one another in the East Coast’s first-ever “Fiets of Parenthood” competition
- The opportunity for parents to “Swap or Sell” their gently used family biking equipment
- Free bike repair clinics from The Bike House
When: Saturday, May 3 from 11 AM – 2:00 PM
- Show & Tell, Swap & Sell and Fiets of Parenthood course 11am – 1pm
- Youth Bike Course 11am – 12:30pm (Kids’ bikes & helmets will be available, or bring your own! Parents must sign a waiver in order for kids to participate.)
- Balance bike races at 11:30am
- Parents & Kids biking class begins at 1:00pm (All participants are encouraged to bring their own bikes & helmets. All participants will be required to sign a waiver.)
Where: The parking lot behind Capitol Hill Montessori School at Logan, 215 G Street NE, Washington, DC 20002. You can access the parking lot from either G Street or 2nd Street. The location is easily accessible from the Union Station Metro and Capital Bikeshare stations.
For more information about The ABC’s of Family Biking and Kidical Mass DC, check out the Kidical Mass DC webpage or e-mail Megan Odett, organizer, at KidicalMassDC AT gmail DOT com.